Saturday, January 14, 2006

The Tree of Life

I was contemplating, the day before yesterday, the early chapters of Genesis and something occurred to me. Genesis says that there was, in addition to the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, the Tree of Life. God told Adam that he could eat of any tree in the Garden, presumably including the Tree of Life, but he could not eat of the Tree of the Knowledge, or he would die.
When Adam and Eve violated this rule, God immediately banished them from the Garden, placing a flaming, moving sword in front of its entrance. He did this, I think because he didn’t want them to have access to the Tree of Life, and immortality so long as they eat of it.
I think that this what God meant when he said Adam would die—he wouldn’t be able to eat of the tree, so there would a limit on the years of his life, instead of none at all. Now, did Adam understand all this? I’m not sure. I’ll have to do some thinking and bible reading and study and prayer.

1 comment:

ReverendKathryn said...

Ans what did you come up with?