Friday, March 17, 2006

03/14/2006—
I want to know why I doubt. I want to know what I doubt. How do I thoroughly analyze my doubts and beliefs, and why I doubt and why I believe? Where do I start? Perhaps I should start with the Resurrection. Did it happen? If I say yes, then where’s my evidence? Did he appear to his apostles? Did he appear to the women? To the men on the road to Emmaus? Are the documents which record it reliable? Does it prove Jesus to be God? If so, what kind of God is he? Is that even a pertinent question? How about the other resurrections Jesus performed? If they’re true resurrections, doesn’t that make his own more likely?
But why do I doubt? Are the doubts emotional or intellectual? Or is my problem the unwillingness to believe, consciously or unconsciously? Or does the answer lie in some of all three?

1 comment:

ReverendKathryn said...

I gave that some thought and posted a blog about it on my page. http://reverendkathryn.blogspot.com/2006/03/what-are-you-thinking.html
Maybe you want to check it out. It may not exactly address your questions, but it does sound like you have concerns in this area. But doubting is not necessarily a bad thing, because it makes you think about what you believe. I think it is what you do with that thinking is that important.

I think that the human mind prefers to have tangible areas, but with God, sometimes there is no solid answer that we can touch and hold... that is what faith is. Keep asking the questions, but don't get sidetracked from the "relating" to God.